Saturday, May 2, 2009

Teff Muffins

gluten free teff muffins
Although I do love Rice Chex, I'm getting pretty sick of eating it every single day for breakfast. I need some variety. Lately I've had grits with flaxseed meal and brown sugar sprinkled on top, scrambled eggs prepared a variety of ways, fresh fruit, frozen waffles, and now teff muffins. These are hearty and healthy. I ran out of agave nectar, but if I had it I'd use it. I love putting strawberry preserves on these.

Teff Muffins

1/3 c. brown rice flour
1/3 c. teff flour
1/3 c. potato starch
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1 T. sugar + 2 T. honey*
(*or, 1 1/2 to 2 T. agave nectar)
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 c. water

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until they're just incorporated. Grease a muffin pan or add cupcake liners, and pour the batter in there. If there are any un-filled wells, pour water in them. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Makes 4 muffins.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I have yet to try teff (or rice chex), but these look yummy =D.