Sunday, May 17, 2009

Almost sticky buns

gluten free dairy free sticky buns
Don't these look delicious? Appearances can be deceiving...

I bought my friend a muffin tin as a housewarming gift, and I thought it'd be a neat idea to bring some goodies along with it. I got this recipe from the April/May issue of Taste of Home.

It would have worked out fine... if I had remembered to use all the flour. I totally spaced and accidentally used half the flour. They turned out yummy except you could really taste the yeast and it gave the buns a funky flavor. Gahh. And, since half the flour only made half a batch, I used all the filling.



Thank goodness for nonstick pans.

I altered it to be dairy free as well as gluten free, and the substitutions seemed to work fine. There is potential in this "almost success!"

3-3 1/2 c. flour mix (includes xanthan gum)
1/4 c. sugar
1 pkg yeast
1 t. salt
1 1/4 c. almond milk
1/4 c. shortening (or butter)
1 egg

Topping:

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. shortening (or 3/4 c. butter)
3/4 c. chopped toasted pecans
2 T. honey
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. maple syrup/ flavoring

Combine 2 c. flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Heat the milk and shortening in a small saucepan to 120-130 degrees. (I used a candy thermometer, $2 at Walmart) Add to the dry ingredients and beat until just moistened. Add the egg, beating until smooth. THIS IS WHERE I MESSED UP: Add in enough of the remaining flour until a firm dough forms. Cover it and let it rise while you mix up the topping in a saucepan over low heat.

Put teaspoonfuls of the topping in greased muffin cups. Top with the dough, trying to keep the cups about 1/2 full. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Let them cool for 2 minutes, then invert them onto a baking sheet.

Makes 2 dozen.

The topping is absolutely delish, and I really think they'd taste great had they been made correctly. So, if you happen to try it, let me know what you think!

*notes

-When I made them the second time, I only added about 1 cup of flour after the egg, to keep them moist.
-I think they'd be better with a whole cup of pecans
-These got a whole lot of "Mmmmms" from various taste-testers. I have a feeling these will turn into a staple for potlucks and brunches.

2 comments:

Marlow said...

I just saw this huge cinnamon roll this morning at Whole Foods and thought....ugh I want a giant sticky sweet GF cinnamon bun!

Dana aka Gluten Free In Cleveland said...

Well they do LOOK nice!

Sorry for the kitchen mixup - but you've certainly piqued my desire for sticky buns, yum!