Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Favorite GF Flour Blend

One of the first things that every newly diagnosed Celiac wants to find is the all-purpose gluten free flour blend that works for them. It seems like everyone has their favorite, and this is mine.

I've been through every type of gluten free flour and back, and this is what I've successfully used for years now.



When developing it, I had a few requirements:
1. Each flour had to be mild-tasting so that it wouldn't alter the taste of the final result.
2. Each flour had to be easy to find.
3. Each flour had to be inexpensive (relative to other GF flours)
4. The whole blend had to be as whole-grain as possible, without yielding a dense end product.

The blend that I've settled on, and have been very happy with, is this:

1 bag of Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
1 bag of Bob's Red Mill Sweet Sorghum Flour
1 bag of Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch
1 Tablespoon Xanthan Gum

This all gets dumped into a container and shaken around to mix.

I've successfully used this mix as a substitute for wheat flour in many recipes, as well as other gluten-free recipes that call for other types of flour. Whatever it calls for, I just use my blend.

No comments: