Wednesday, July 30, 2008

toaster pastries

gluten free toaster pastries


Trips to the grocery store always fuel my newest "I need to make that!" episodes. This was no exception. The man and I were in the store late one night looking for snack-y foods and right there at the end of an aisle was a display of Pop Tarts. I've never really craved them or anything, but I haven't seen any gluten free pop tarts in the stores. That means recipe time! This is very simple, adapted from an old pie crust recipe.



They turn out really good. The dough and the overall taste is not so overwhelmingly sweet like "real" Pop Tarts. I ate one right away, warm from the oven, but I'll try to keep my hands off the rest so I can give them the 'morning after' scrutiny.

toaster pastries:

1 1/2 c. GF flour mix
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter, softish
3 T. cold water

Cut the butter into the flour and salt. Add the cold water and form a dough. I refrigerate my flour mix so the dough was cool enough to roll out without problems, but if it's too sticky throw it in the fridge for 30 min or so.

When it's ready, roll it out into a square/ rectangle. Make sure the surface is floured or it will stick when you try to lift it. [heh, live and learn!] Cut the dough into an even number of pop-tart-shaped rectangles. Place rectangles on a cookie sheet. I greased and floured mine because I was paranoid that they'd stick.

Spoon any kind of fruity jam in the center of each rectangle, leaving room on the sides because it will spill over as it bakes if it's too close to the edge. Top with another rectangle and seal the edges with a fork.

Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes. When they come out and cool a bit, spread some icing and sprinkles, if you'd like.

Like I said, these are really good, much better than those store-bought ones. I'd make these again, even for company.

And, because I was in the privacy of my own home and the jam spilled out when I ate one warm, I licked the plate. Mmmm. ;o)

*morning after update*
I popped one in the toaster. These things heat up QUICK. Only about 30 seconds and they're warm. They're slightly crunchier, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I still enjoy these a lot.

Oh, and Tony, I changed Pop Tarts to "toaster pastries" so you don't sue me, haha

10 comments:

Elona Washington said...

Thanks so much for this recipe! My son is 5 and we just discovered he is gluten intolerant. Pop tarts are his absolute favorite and the fact that he can still eat them - and help make them - will make the transition to his new diet easier.

Esri Rose said...

Thanks so much for this. Any recommendation on what kind of frosting to make?

gluten free momma said...

There's no xanthan gum or guar gum listed in the ingredients, did you have any trouble with it flaking apart? I'm trying this right now, and the dough just keeps breaking apart... I'm thinking a little bit of xanthan gum woul help maybe?

MichelleKey Photography said...

I just successfully made four, chocolate chip & Marshmallow pastries. Of course I had to try one before giving them to my son. He is going to LOVE THEM. I used the non-dairy, soy free mini chips.

Thanks for the recipe! Next on my list is pumpkin pie pastry tarts!

Amytheyarnfiend said...

I had a problem with them falling apart, but I added just a touch more water and shortening (I'm dairy free, too) and made sure to dip my rolling pin in flour FREQUENTLY and it worked very nicely! It's gonna be a loooong ten minutes in that oven ...

amytheyarnfiend said...

For those with picky kids who want a more "traditional pop tart" taste, I added 1/2 C confectioner's sugar to the second batch. It made the crust delicious! amy

Beth Welsh said...

I made these and they were okay. I didn't add gum to the recipe, but I did end up rolling the dough between parchment papers instead of the regular way. But my son wasn't crazy about it. The pieces with filling were good, but the pastry without was downright awful. My flour is 3 parts brown rice, 3 parts corn starch, 2 parts sorghum and 1 part masa harina and it makes a pretty bitter dough. I'd say add some sugar to the dough unless you are using sweet flours. I'd bet it would be good with almond flour (which I can't use since my other son is allergic to tree nuts). Tapioca might be a better choice. I just spent a frutiless hour trying to find a gluten free pastry dough recipe that seemed like it would do the trick. No dice.

TwinMommyOT said...

Any advice on making the filling thicker like a real pop tart? My daughter won't try it because I can't get it to look the same or have the same consistency.

Jennifer said...

Hmm. You could try heating up the jam and mixing in a little corn starch to get it thicker, then put a little more on the inside of the 'sandwich'.
I know the crust of these isn't the same as the regular pop tarts either- try the powdered sugar trick mentioned in the comments.

Anonymous said...

If you add a small amount of Xanthan gum or Guar gum to the filling, it should stay in the crust better... a trick we learned with cinnamon rolls... the cinnamon sugar butter mix stays in between the dough and does not ooze out so much or absorb into the dough...