Sunday, July 6, 2008

Granola!


Today I decided it was time for granola. I've tried making granola bars a few times, in my quest for gluten free portable snacks to munch on when that inevitable "mid-lecture hunger" strikes. They never really worked out and I gave up on granola-type things.

But today, I thought I'd give it a go again. And we had a success! I made a parfait but didn't have any yogurt so I used ice cream. Oh, darn. ;o)

This stuff is good. Not too sweet, and a good crunch.

Granola

2 c. gluten free oats
3/4 c. nuts, chopped coarsely (I used walnuts and pecans but I wish I had almonds)
1/4 c. flax seeds (only had flax seed meal on hand so I used that)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 c. (2 T.) oil
1/8 c. honey
1/2 t. vanilla

Heat the oil & honey on low heat. Add the vanilla and mix it up until it looks incorporated. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the hot mixture to the dry. Stir it very well to coat. Spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it at 300 for 30-40 minutes, stirring after 15-20 minutes.

Easy and pretty darn tasty.

No comments: