Wednesday, June 4, 2008

updates

Quick update. Haven't been cooking much lately.

I was at Quizno's the other day picking up a sandwich for the man when I grabbed a Sobe Life Water because I was parched and it looked yummy. After a large gulp I figured I should read the ingredients, just in case. Well poop in my cereal. Right there on the label of WATER, was modified food starch. It was a Sunday so the hotline was closed but I did some searching online and found out all of the Sobe Life Waters are gluten free. Sweet.

Found out Kroger has a pretty good gluten free section on their website for all of the store brand products.

And all of Kraft brand products will say right on the label if anything is derived from wheat. For example, Modified Food Starch (Wheat). When I spoke to the lady on the phone she said if it doesn't specify then it's okay.

So that's the news for today.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

As of 2006, in the U.S., wheat always has to be disclosed on an ingredient label. So, if there is wheat in modified food starch, it would have to say so right on the label -- this applies to products from all manufacturers, not just Kraft. What is great about Kraft and several other large companies (see the Delphi Forum celiac disease on line support forum for a full list) is that they will ALSO always disclose barley, oats and rye on the ingredient labels too, not just wheat. (As for modified food starch, all the reading I have done suggests that modified food starch is never made from barley, oats or rye, so if it doesn't say wheat on the ingredient label in the U.S., the modified food starch should not contain gluten.)