Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gluten Free Crackers

I think that this is a better version of the cracker recipe I posted a while back. I made them round this time too because I hate rolling out dough. I just made a ball and flattened it and it worked pretty well.


gotta have cheese with crackers :o)

Crackers:

1/2 c. rice flour
1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. potato starch
1/4 c. tapioca starch
1/4 c. sorghum flour
[or 2 cups GF flour mix]
1 t. xanthan gum
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. milk
1 egg

Blend dry ingredients. Cut in butter until the mixture is fine crumbs. Add the milk & egg and mix into a dough. Either roll it out and cut into squares or roll it into balls and flatten. Stab each cracker a few times with a fork and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.

I also added some shredded cheese and made cheesy crackers, too.

Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. I had to double-bake a few that came out too soft, but it's just preference.

These aren't like normal saltines, but I feel it's a better recipe than the previous one.

*UPDATE*

While they were really tasty right out of the oven, this recipe fails the next morning. They get all hard and dense. I'd refrigerate the dough and bake them fresh in batches. *sigh* back to the drawing board!

1 comment:

Jolynn B said...

I tried them! Yummy! My Mom and I agree that this would probably make good pie dough if you cut back on the salt and cooked it a little less. I've never had a gluten free dough roll out so nicely.
Here is my flour combo. It was what I had on hand. I also don't do corn so I changed the cornstarch to arrowroot.
1/2 C. Arrowroot, 3/4 C. Tapioca, 3/4 C. Brown Rice Flour