Friday, June 20, 2008

Gluten free BREAD

I have tried SO many bread recipes and have yet to find one that I like. Well, until now.

Two things:
1. my mom bought me a bread maker. I was really intimidated by it at first, but I think it won't be so bad.
2. I checked out Gluten Free [Cooking School] the other day and said, "hm, let's try this bread recipe."

And I am so glad I did!

My bread did not turn out perfect, but it was good enough for me to go, "ooh!" and give me confidence. I'm sure her flour mix will work really well. I used a slightly different flour mix, but it had the same general starch : "heavier" flour ratio. The bread kind of sunk at the end and had larger holes, so I think I let it rise too much. Easily fixed. The crust was also kind of thick, but that's easily fixed, too. I just need to either change the setting or bake it a few minutes less.

The recipe can be found at the link above or here:

1 T. yeast
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 c. water, warm

2 1/2 c. flour mix
2 t. xanthan gum
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 T. oil
1 t. apple cider vinegar

Combine the yeast, sugar and water.

In a different bowl mix the dry ingredients.

In another bowl mix the eggs, oil & vinegar.

Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix well.

I stuck it in the bread machine, let it rise a bit and then chose the "bake only" setting for an hour. She said 80 minutes, but my machine baked it quicker than that. I guess it depends on the brand? Mine's a Breadman. (not the one with the gluten free setting)

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to try a loaf of bread and not gross out.

No comments: