Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gluten Free Biscotti















I make biscotti about once or twice a year: Father's Day and Christmas, because my dad loves it. I could make these with wheat flour because dad's not a celiac, but then I couldn't sneak any or eat the broken rejects. Thank goodness I found this recipe over at Hey, that tastes good! It rocks. It's so easy and the biscotti turns out GREAT.

In case you're too lazy to click on the link, here's the recipe re-posted.

1 3/4 c. rice flour
1/3 c. tapioca starch/flour
1 T. potato starch
2 T. ground nuts
1/4 t. xanthan gum
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 lemon or orange zest (I was out of this so I used a drop of lemon extract with the egg/vanilla mixture and it worked fine.)
1 t. vanilla
3 eggs

Whisk the dry ingredients together. Beat the eggs and vanilla separately and add it to the dry. Mix it up. Add in any nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, whatever. Shape the dough into two logs on a baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes at 350. Take them out and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice them into biscotti-like shapes, at a diagonal, and bake again for 30-45 minutes. Flip them after 15 minutes. When they've cooled you can dip them in chocolate, which of course I did. Put them on wax paper and refrigerate them and they'll come right off, looking pretty.

*note: if they start to burn, which mine did, I just turned down the temp to 300ish and left them in a little longer, till the texture seemed right.

These are traditionally dunked in coffee, although we eat them like cookies too :o)

1 comment:

jill elise said...

those look awesome!!!! I'm glad my recipe worked!!