Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Quinoa Veggie Salad

When I made this for dinner tonight, I didn't plan on posting the recipe. I didn't think it would be that good. Hubs even remarked about the lack of meat as he served himself a helping. I'm TRYING to keep us healthy and fit. Especially because I basically had vodka and tator tots for dinner last night.
It's all about balance...

I expected this to be mediocre.
It's Tuesday, I'm tired. My feet hurt. I'm not in the mood for shenanigans. I don't want to make an elaborate gourmet dinner.
You know what I really wanted? Chicken nuggets and tator tots warming in the toaster oven while I sat on the couch with my feet up and a glass of wine. But like I said, healthy. And I should probably limit that behavior.

As it turns out, this dish was actually really good.
I didn't want it, but when I started eating I realized this is what my body needed and it was delicious.
It's fine for us as a meatless meal, but in the future I'd make it for a potluck or something.

gluten free quinoa veggie

Made with quinoa, edamame, and black beans, this meatless dish has enough protein to satisfy... I think. The real test is after I eat the leftovers at work tomorrow, throw myself back into the lab gauntlet, and see if I get hungry by 3pm.

Basically though, it's fine for a weeknight dinner.

The idea is to throw a bunch of veggies together in a bowl with quinoa and beans, then toss with lime juice. For the specifics of this dish, read on:

Quinoa Veggie Salad

Start quinoa on the stovetop.

Saute red onion, chopped carrot, frozen shelled edamame, chopped kale, and a can of rinsed black beans. Season with salt, pepper, ground thyme, and garlic powder.

In a bowl, mix slivered almonds, chopped cucumber, and the juice of two limes. Add the sauteed ingredients and the cooked quinoa, still hot. Mix to distribute.

Be surprised at how the flavors jive, and be humbled by the power of fresh lime juice.

No comments: