Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Zucchini salad

Tonight I noticed I had all of the ingredients for this Spiralized Raw Zucchini Salad. Pinned solely because I'm trying to eat more vegetables.

I didn't ever plan on trying it. But I lack inspiration lately and all the ingredients were right there on the counter. I admit, I was skeptical at first. Zucchini and avocado? I wasn't sure the flavors and textures would jive. But I had the ingredients and rather than let the veggies get all sad and rotten, I forged ahead. It turns out, they do jive. Very well.

So yes, a salad. I'm posting a salad recipe.  No lettuce! No kale! No baby spring greens! But I call it a salad because I'm not sure what else to call it.

The simple fact that I'm posting a salad-ish recipe should tell you how good it is.


When Chris saw what was for dinner, he scoffed and asked where the meat was. See? Another clear sign that we need to eat more vegetables. Nothing but vegetable skeptics around here. Halfway through eating it, though, I got a thumbs up and a request to add it to the regular rotation. That's right.

I modified the recipe slightly, but the original one includes basil and chive and can be found at the link above.

Zucchini Salad

1 zucchini, ends trimmed off and spiralized
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1/2 tbsp olive oil
kosher salt, to taste
fresh black pepper, to taste
1 diced avocado
shelled cooked edamame
cherry tomatoes, halved

Put everything into a bowl and toss to mix. Done.

Honestly this would probably be served in the future as a side, or with some cold leftover chicken like a pasta salad. It's a great basic recipe that can be mixed with whatever happens to be in the fridge-- my favorite!

No comments: