Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pei Wei

I don't know why it took me over a year and a half to eat at Pei Wei after I'd heard rumors of a gluten free menu.

Well, last night I finally went! I asked the cashier if they had a gluten free menu, and she pulled out this little laminated card that's linked above. I ordered the Pei Wei Spicy. She said it was one of their most popular dishes.

It was chicken with some sort of delicious glaze/crust/sauce that was sweet and spicy at the same time. Oh. My. Gosh. It has been so long since I've eaten restaurant Chinese food- and this stuff was good. I was in heaven.

I don't know what precautions they take to avoid cross-contamination, but I felt fine. It was actually the first time that I ever remember eating Chinese food and not getting indigestion or bloating afterwards. I guess there really is something to this gluten free thing, huh?

For 2 meals + 2 drinks it was about 20 bucks, so I'm figuring $10 a person. That's not too bad for me, because I can get 1 or 2 other meals from the leftovers. I'm actually excited for lunch today.

I did not take a picture, and I doubt you want to see a picture of my leftovers crammed into the takeout box. I hate posting without some kind of picture, so you get today's Natalie Dee as a random visual that just so happens to relate to food.

nataliedee.com


Next on the list of restaurants to try: PF Chang's GF menu!

2 comments:

Amy Green said...

I have never been to Pei Wei...I don't (can't) eat sugar or gluten(wheat) so I steer clear of most Asian restaurants. If I thought about it I could come up with a long list of can'ts...am so glad you're looking at the cans!! :) BTW - love your sister Suzy's pic. It's evil for us, isn't it? Great blog - my first visit - I'll be back.
Amy
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free

gaile said...

You're going to be thrilled with PF Changs. They even use different plates for GF items, their staff is well educated, and they even have noodles we can eat. Do try the singapore street noodles, or the lettuce wraps. The lemon chicken is awesome. Pretty much everything I've ever had there is really fabulous, and the GF menu has a lot of variety.