Monday, May 19, 2008

surprise cookies















This recipe came from It's Just Not Dinner Without Cat Hair. I saw it and said, "Ooh, let's try that." Hers look a lot prettier than mine, haha.

The main point I'd like to make about this recipe: I like the basic cookie. It's got a good texture and a good taste that's not tootoo sweet but still good. I wasn't crazy about the mint/chocolate candy combo, but I'd LOVE to try these with the bite-sized Snickers, or even make them alone, maybe adding a lemon icing or something.

Here's what you do to make these surprise cookies:

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla
1 t. baking powder
1/3 t. salt
2/3 c. rice flour
1/3 c. tapioca starch
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 T. sweet rice flour
1 1/4 t. xanthan gum
Andes chocolate mint candy

Cream the butter and sugars. Beat in the egg, then add the vanilla.
Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the butter mixture. Refrigerate for 3 hours. I only refrigerated for about 30 minutes because I was impatient, but the dough was hard to work with. I'd say do it for the whole time.

Shape enough dough to wrap around the candies, and bake at 375 for about 10-12 minutes. When they've cooled, drizzle some melted candies on top.

I halved the recipe and it made about 7 cookies, and it took about 3 melted to drizzle on top.

No comments: