Sunday, May 25, 2008

Another Gluten Free Bagel Recipe















The other bagel recipe that I tried made okay bagels, but was SO labor intensive. This one is much quicker. I get bagels in about 30 minutes as opposed to a few hours. And the bagel is more bagel-like.

It came from a cookbook: The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg. It's pretty basic, nothing fancy. But, seeing as how I'm a beginner it's perfect. I've gotten quite a few good recipes from it.

Bagels

1/3 c. warm milk
1 pkg yeast (I used quick rise)
1 t. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. potato starch
3/4 c. cornstarch
[the recipe calls for this flour mix, but I used less corn and potato starch and added soy and tapioca flour.]
1 t. xanthan gum
1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cider vinegar

egg white, beaten

Put a pot of water on to boil for later. Add some salt.

Combine the sugar and milk, then add the yeast. Stir it all, then mix in the egg. Add everything else, and mix well to remove all of the lumps. It forms a pretty good ball, so it was hard to mix out all the lumps. I bet they'd be prettier if I had, but I don't know if it would affect the taste.

Roll into balls, then flatten out into disks. This is pretty easy because the dough is not overly sticky. Form a hole in the middle and plop them into boiling water for about 30 seconds each side.

Put them on a greased cookie sheet and brush the tops with egg white. Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes.

So how are they? They taste more like "real" bagels. The texture is better and I'm pretty sure I'd make them again. Stay tuned for the "day-after" verdict...

*update*
pretty good the next day!

No comments: