Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Travel meal: crock pot beef

Sometimes, it's worth taking up valuable suitcase real estate to travel with the crock pot.

It's chilly outside, I'm traveling all week, and a hot, safe gluten free meal after a long day is such a mood booster. There is a mini fridge and microwave in my hotel room, and that's all I need.

Well, that and the ingredients.

I have my trusty travel kit and planned ahead, so I brought a few ingredients with me to avoid buying full-size versions at the grocery store (crock pot liner, bay leaf, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce).

gluten free travel meal crock pot beef

Crock pot beef:

Put into the crock pot, in this order...
crock pot liner
1 carrot, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 peeled garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 lb of stew meat
1/4 of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 big kale leaf, torn into pieces
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce, transported in a small, leakproof container
pepper
a few glugs of red wine
enough water to make the liquid level just hit the kale

Set it to low when you leave, put up your Do Not Disturb sign, and come "home" to a delicious, hot meal and a hotel room that smells amazing. The only thing missing is my cat.

I ate it with some mashed sweet potato.  Not bad for no kitchen, eh?

No comments: