Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Pulled pork taquitos

Today I made a recipe that did not include pumpkin. It's October and I have every right to put pumpkin in everything... but I exercised my basic bitch right and chose not to.

gluten free pulled pork taquito

Instead, I chose to deploy my other secret power.

I hid veggies in this.

Look. Do you see veggies?

gluten free pulled pork taquito

I don't. But they're in there. Spooooky. Shredded zucchini virtually disappears in this dish and not only does it discretely spike the veggie content, it helps keep the pork moist.

I could have stopped there and made pulled pork sandwiches, but I felt like something else. Taquitos.

gluten free pulled pork taquito

With extra veggies, because even though I choose to, I don't actually have to hide veggies from myself.

Pulled pork taquitos (with hidden veggies)

Layer in your crock pot, in this order:
a crock pot liner (essential.)
1/2 chopped onion
2 boneless pork chops from the freezer
a handful of shredded zucchini
a generous squirt of your favorite gf bbq sauce

Set it on low for 6 hours, until the pork is falling apart. Shred it with a fork in the crock pot.

Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Then, assemble the taquitos. Take a corn tortilla, stick some extra shredded zucchini on it, then add the pork. If you're feeling saucy, add a little more bbq sauce.
Roll up and place on a greased sheet pan, seam side down. Repeat until you're out of supplies, about 6 taquitos. Spray with a little cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until they get hot and crispy. I use my toaster oven for this and it works great.

Drizzle with extra bbq sauce and if you're feeling extra, some ranch dressing.

gluten free pulled pork taquito

So good, so good. The cat agreed.


No comments: