Monday, September 28, 2015

Pumpkin Chili

Or, more accurate, make regular old chili but hide the leftover pumpkin puree in it. Because Suzy  even suggested it and I was already thinking about it which means it's fate.

Make it even better- take this opportunity to use up old sad veggies! Which is why I added zucchini. Poor, sad zucchini. Squash on squash.

The chili doesn't taste like pumpkin. It's possibly a smidge sweet, but not noticeably so. Pumpkin gives it a nice texture and an extra layer of flavor in the background. I would not hesitate to hide leftover pumpkin in chili again. It just works.


I didn't tell hubs the secret ingredient until we were done eating dinner and he cleaned his bowl. Without any encouragement, I might add.

Muahahaha he is an unwilling participant in the pumpkin trend that I demand he partake in every fall. When you're the cook, you get to make demands like that.

Chili (+ pumpkin)

Brown some ground beef in a pot. Add in some chopped onion and celery and cook until soft.

Stir in 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of kidney beans, chopped zucchini. Do not drain the tomatoes or beans; dump in the whole can, juice and all.

Stir in leftover pumpkin puree.

Stir in seasonings:
2 T. chili powder
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. garlic powder


If it's thick, stir in a little water. I like my chili on the thick side so I don't add much water.

Simmer until everything is heated through and the veggies are tender. Serve with cornbread.

Enjoy the pumpkin season!


Psssstttt: More Pumpkin.
.

No comments: