Monday, November 26, 2012

Tx Land & Cattle -- GF??

** I just came back from vacation, and this is part of a small series of restaurant reviews.

First up, Texas Land and Cattle.

This was a special meal. Last week Chris and I got married in a small ceremony at the Justice of the Peace.


Afterwards, we had lunch with our families at Texas Land & Cattle. We chose this restaurant because of the location, the availability of a private room, and most importantly, the gluten free menu.

When we arrived, I asked the waitress for the gluten free menu, then proceeded to order, word-for-word, the salmon. After a few bites, I happened to compare it to the other salmon dishes on the table, and it didn't look "un-smoked, un-marinated, and without seasoning." So, I asked the waitress to double check. Turns out, it had been marinated. Fortunately, they had just pulled some salmon out to thaw and had not yet marinated it, and would cook that for me. In the meantime, I 'enjoyed' some plain steamed broccoli and some wine. A good while after everyone else had enjoyed their meal, my dish was finally served.

I didn't make a scene, but I couldn't help but think to myself... did I not just order a gluten-free dish from a gluten-free menu, specifying not to smoke, marinate, or season the dish? How does a restaurant offer a gluten free menu, then proceed to screw it up, even ignoring the specific requests made when ordering? And how pissed was I that I was served a "gluten free" dish containing gluten on my freaking wedding day??? Let's try not to poison the bride, guys.

Needless to say, it was a lovely, happy day, but I did not eat the replacement salmon, and was highly disappointed in the restaurant. I will not be dining there again, and I don't recommend it.

No comments: