Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Las Canarias Restaurant

** I just came back from vacation, and this is part of a small series of restaurant reviews.

We stayed at the Omni on the Riverwalk in San Antonio for a few days as part of a mini-honeymoon, and it was just delightful. Charming, friendly, and right on the riverwalk. I recommend it.

One amazing surprise that neither of us were expecting was the inclusion of a gluten free table in the breakfast buffet. The restaurant is connected to the hotel, called Las Canarias. The gluten free fare was off in the corner, and as soon as I noticed it I swooped in. (I wish I could have taken a picture, but it was a classy place and I felt weird doing it.) There was a little table with a gluten free menu, laid out with gluten free english muffins and toast, complete with a dedicated toaster. There was also gluten free granola (Udi's, I think) and mini parfaits. Yes, they took the time to make mini gluten free granola and yogurt parfaits. There were also cranberry muffins that were made in-house. I was so happy!

One morning, we ate across the street at Ostra, which has the same gluten free items on its breakfast menu. Again, I was surprised and incredibly pleased.

Recommended? Absolutely. I'd go out of my way to eat there again. 

1 comment:

TravGlutenFree said...

Hi,

I just came across this review (along with your others from your trip). I run a gluten free travel website and I was wondering if you may allow me to share your expereinces with fellow GF travellers. I will happliy link back here with credit and subscribe for future updates.

Many thanks,
Mike
Travel Gluten Free