Sunday, February 1, 2009

Purely Decadent Cookie Dough Ice Cream


picture links to product website

I decided to try this after I saw Gluten Free In Cleveland's review.

I eat ice cream all the time- At least once a week. Most of the time, more. It has been a very long time since I've had cookie dough ice cream, and for some reason I HAD to try this stuff. Even at close to $5 a pop.

Now, I have very picky tastebuds, especially when I know I'm about to try something "not normal," like non-dairy ice cream. And, honestly, I could not tell at first bite that it was any different than regular ice cream. There are good-sized chunks of chocolate chip cookie dough and flakes of chocolate in a vanilla ice cream base.

The cookie dough chunks were awesome, not too hard or chewy or funky. They really nailed it.
The flakes of chocolate were nice, too. They themselves had a good texture to add to the ice cream when there wasn't a chunk of cookie dough in the spoonful. I detected NO strange aftertastes or textures.

As for the ice cream itself, the texture was great. Although I detected a tiny bit of grainy-ness, it was hardly noticeable. And this is coming from a tongue that is very familiar with full-fat, rich and creamy ice cream. I say it's very comparable.

My only suggestion for improvement was that the ice cream base itself was a tad too sweet. With the cookie dough and chocolate flakes, it would have been better if it was less sweet. The plus side to that is, you can eat a small amount and still feel satisfied.

Overall, I like this product and will happily finish the rest.
I'm also interested in trying the key lime pie flavor that was next to it in the case...

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Mmm, that looks good, and sounds even better =D!

Mike Eberhart said...

I recently saw that product at the store (Whole Foods I think), and wondered if it was any good. Nice to read your detailed opinions. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hiiiiii!

a) so honored that you read my post / it inspired you to go try it for yourself

b) I'm right there with you. I cannot wait to try the key lime pie flavor. yum.