Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pamela's Vanilla Cake Mix

picture courtesy of Aileen

Last night was the long-awaited Enchilada Night at Missy's. Not only was it enchilada night, we were celebrating a special occasion as well. Congrats to my friend Jen!!

Anyway, in addition to the gluten free enchiladas, beans, and rice, I got a special surprise. For dessert they made GF pound cake, so I could eat it too!

Now, I've gotten used to passing up birthday/ wedding cake, etc. so this was really, really nice. I felt SO loved. My friend Aileen also brought one of those Almondy tarts. We had a lot of food, and I didn't have to miss out on anything. They were so thoughtful and I appreciate it so much. <3

Now, I've had two experiences with this cake mix.

The first time I tried it, it was when I was first diagnosed and it was made as a regular cake. I thought it was terrible, dry, and had a strange flavor. I ended up throwing it away.

This time, it was made as a pound cake. There is a recipe variation on the bag to make it as a pound cake. I thought it tasted good, with a good texture and a small aftertaste that I can't quite place. Did that stop me from eating 3 pieces? Noooo.

I'm not sure if my second experience was better because there were 12 T. of butter in it, or I'm just used to gluten free foods. Everyone else ate it, and there were no major complaints.

As you can see I piled my cake high with whipped cream and fruit. I also ate it plain for breakfast this morning.

I don't know if I'd buy this again, because of the aftertaste, but I think it served its purpose really well.

2 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

How sweet that they were willing to go out of their way to accommodate your needs! That goes to show that you are much loved.

Anonymous said...

What great friends!

I've never had the vanilla mix, but I'm a big fan of the chocolate pamela's cake mix. That said, i was surprised I did, because I can't stand their cookies (the prepacked ones, terrible GF taste, I think), and I the coffee I added to the batter of the cake mix might have something to do with my love for it...

...I've never thought of making a poundcake with a cake mix, interesting! Though if you're looking for a GREAT poundcake, I'll but updating my site later today with the one I just made. Orange Almond Vanilla pound cake - amazing. (if I do say so myself, hehe)