Friday, January 30, 2009

granollllaaa [bars]

gluten free granola bar soy flaxI was motivated to attempt granola bars again because
1. my boss gave me a bunch of Bob's soy flour that she will not use (sweet!)
2. I needed a post-workout protein/ carb bar.

Yes, my lazy-ass got on the treadmill today. I even got into it, with my purple 5-lb. hand weights. My brother, who was on the computer next to me, blasted cheesy 90's techno to keep me going. That stuff's got a good, brisk walking beat. (I do not run...)

But, enough about my workout.

These bars fulfill my two requirements: no honey or peanut butter. I think the agave nectar, which provided just enough sweetness, helped hold them together. (Along with the egg)

Plenty of good stuff in these bars.

The thing is, though, they're soft. I think I'm more partial to crunchy bars.
When they were done and cooled for a minute I cut them and placed them on a cookie sheet. I put them back in the oven and turned it off, hoping to make them crunchier. After a while, they weren't necessarily crunchier, but were chewier. I think it was an improvement.

My pickiness aside, these are good and good for you.

Granola Bars

1 beaten egg
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. agave nectar
1 t. vanilla
3 T. flaxseed meal
1 1/2 c. GF oats
1/2 c. soy flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350. Mix up the dry ingredients. Mix up the wet ingredients, then- you guessed it- Mix them together. Press the mixture into a lightly greased 8x8 square pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. I tested mine with a toothpick to tell when they were done.

For chewier bars, let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then cut into bars. Place the bars on a cookie sheet, place them back into the oven, turn the heat off, and forget about them for about an hour.

*ps. the more I go back and nibble on these, the more I like them. I'm totally thinking breakfast-on-the-go.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Mmm, these bars look amazing! I think I might have to try them =D!