Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese: Take 2

gluten free macaroni and cheeseMac n Cheese: again.

My inspiration for this twist on the previous cheese sauce? Old cream cheese that I wanted to use before it got funky. The result? Super creamy cheese sauce that sticks to the noodles. None of that slightly grainy or liquidy stuff.

I even tried to make it healthier! My family is from Wisconsin, and cheese is not a food that is bad for you. It is a health food. Lots of calcium!

1 T. Smart Balance (or butter, or butter sub)
1 T. corn starch
1 c. 2% milk
3 T. 'less fat' Neufchatel cheese, cubed and at room temperature or slightly warmed
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
mustard powder
garlic powder
pepper

Melt the 'butter' in a saucepan on low. Mix in the corn starch and make a paste. Stir in the milk and boost the heat a tad bit (not a lot!). Stir occasionally for a few minutes. I usually stick my finger in there to test the hotness. Add the cream cheese cubes and stir those in until they melt. The mixture should get noticeably thicker. Then add in the cheddar cheese in small amounts, stirring that in until it's melted. At this point you should stir constantly until all of the cheese is added and melted. Shake in some garlic powder and mustard powder. I go light on the garlic, but don't be afraid of the mustard- it really is good!

Mix the sauce with brown rice noodles for mac n cheese, or... anything else you want to make cheesy. Pepper it up and serve it hot. Mmmmm.

Oh, by the way, I found a bottle of Cardamom for $1.99 at Cost Plus World Market. Glad I didn't pay the $10 for it at Kroger!

No comments: