Friday, October 24, 2008

Flour mix- updated

I like to keep an "all purpose" flour mix on hand for the recipes that I convert from regular to GF. It's also handy when my mom feels like baking. It's easier because she's not as familiar with the individual flours and the textures they produce.

I mix up a large batch at once:

2 cups cornstarch
1 cup tapioca starch
2 cups potato starch
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour (sometimes I omit the white rice flour and use all brown rice flour)
2 cups corn flour, sorghum flour, soy flour or millet flour. Any type of non-coarse flour will do.
3 T. xanthan gum

This is, of course, very general. I don't worry about exact measurements.

With each new batch I've been experimenting with raising the "flour" ratio and lowering the "starch" ratio and make it a little healthier. I also sub in some flaxseed meal or teff flour in a particular recipe, when it seems appropriate.

If you have a different one, share it!

1 comment:

Jolynn B said...

It's still a starch, but arrowroot powder is a good replacement for the cornstarch. I'm not certain that there is much nutritional difference between the two, but I can't do much corn. I don't think it's an allergy. My system just can't handle too much of it.