Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cranberry Nut Bars

gluten free cranberry nut bars
(click on the picture to get a better view of the texture)

This, I am not taking credit for. My mom made this from the gluten-free flour mix that I keep in my fridge. I came home and ate... three of them. In fact, I'm brushing crumbs off my hoodie as I type. These ROCK. Perfect for breakfast. -Or when you get home from work.

It's got a coffee-cake consistency, with some tart bursts of yummy cranberries and toasty nuts. The top part comes out as a delicate crust that's sweet but not too sweet. My mom really did a great job.

She used the OceanSpray recipe- I think she clipped out of a magazine. She substituted the GF flour mix for the flour, and ended up with awesomeness.

To make awesomeness you need:

2 eggs
a little less than 1 c. sugar
1 c. flour (GF!!)
1/3 c. melted butter
1 1/4 c. fresh cranberries (or frozen)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
cinnamon/ sugar

Beat the eggs until they're thick. Slowly add the sugar and mix it real well. Dump in the flour and butter, and blend that really well. Add the berries and nuts and just barely mix those in. Put the batter in a greased 8-inch pan, sprinkle with the cinnamon/ sugar and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. A clean toothpick and slightly brown edges means it's done.

*note- you can double the recipe and use a 13x9 pan.
*note^2- she tried the recipe again with regular flour and she said they weren't as good. Sweeett.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh! These look great! I can't wait to try them! I'm thinking this cranberry treat would be great for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Thanks for posting this recipe!!!

jill elise said...

woah, easy peasy, I'll be making these!

GF in Cleveland said...

those look amazing. the texture. man oh man.

i never think of baking with cranberries, so congrats to your mom and you for getting to eat them!

Anonymous said...

yum! I made these and brought them to a pot luck last night. no one noticed or cared that they were gluten-free! (I left out the nuts, by the way, -- I just didn't have any in the house)