Thursday, September 4, 2008

Product Review: Enjoy Life Brownie Cookies

As with a lot of the new things I try, this was one of those "I'm shopping hungry and this looks good" buys.

They come in nuggets that are fatter than a cookie, the kind of size that makes it sooo easy to shove them in your mouth one after another.

The nuggets are pretty chocolatey, and the texture is good although slightly crumbly. I love that there are mini chocolate chips scattered inside the cookie.

The thing is, though, as I was eating them I detected a taste that I couldn't quite pinpoint. It wasn't chocolate, and it slightly competed with the chocolate taste.

Then I read the ingredients and I figured it out. Second and third on the list of ingredients were fruit juices and date paste. I suppose they keep the cookies moist and less crumbly, but you could definitely taste it.

And I don't know about you, but I don't like the taste of fruit to compete with chocolate in my chocolate brownies. It's subtle, but it's there.

Overall, if the taste of the dates don't bother you, these are not bad. However I think I'll be sticking to homemade versions.

1 comment:

GF in Cleveland said...

Hey, I found your blog on the GF news aggregator and decided to check it out. Like the recipes and will have to try one out sometime :)

Mostly though, I wanted to say that I'm totally with you on the enjoy life cookie products and their strange after taste. No matter how many time I told my mom I just wasn't a fan, they'd still find their way into care packages she'd send to me at school.

However, I made a discovery! If you microwave those things for about 10 seconds, they're completely edible and date paste taste free!