Wednesday, September 17, 2008

hurricane food

Right before the hurricane, mom stocked up on stuff to eat, and wondered, "Will Jen have enough to eat?"

Well, I managed. The thing that saved my life was those packages of veggies or rice with chicken that are meant to be steamed in the microwave. Turns out, you can cook them in about 5 minutes on the stovetop. While everyone else was eating ramen noodles, I had a hot, veggie-ful meal. One night I heated up some chicken & rice soup, which was especially nice because I had a sore throat.

What else did I eat? I snacked on dried cranberries and slices of cheese. I discovered that bagels are toastable on the gas range. We scrambled eggs and sausage that had thawed in the freezer and rolled them up in corn tortillas. We grilled the rest of the meat that had to be eaten.

When we got bored, Chris and I went to Sam's and I found a huge barrel of cheese balls that said on the side, "this is a gluten free food." I brought those home and they were actually a big hit.

One night I headed over to Missy's and they had a "non-perishable mexican feast" which consisted of velveeta cheese dip with those rotel tomatoes, canned refried beans, and tortilla chips. I had a happy tummy that night.

Of course, if we did not have a gas stovetop it would have been a different story. I guess you can boil water with that sterno stuff.

But, contary to mom's fears, I did not starve during the hurricane, haha.

No comments: