Monday, September 8, 2008

Natasha's Health Nut Cookies

I heard of these cookies through Gluten Free Food Reviews. They looked good and the cranberry one caught my eye, so I said what the hey and ordered some.

They come in three types: raisin amaretto, cranberry orange and vanilla chocolate chip. I got two boxes (6 cookies ea) of the cranberry orange and one of the vanilla chocolate chip. (FYI a minimum order is 3 boxes and it's about 20 bucks.) Not bad.

I was happy that I got a personal email from the company when my order shipped, and when I replied to the question "Where did you hear of us?" I got a reply back. Friendly vibes, yes. And they packed it in pretty gold paper.

So. The cookies.

In my opinion these are less like cookies and more like a cross between a muffin and a granola bar. The texture is not smooth, but rougher. It's much more substantial; heavier than a cookie. It's like a stick-to-your-ribs cookie. A wholesome cookie. A cookie on steroids, minus the unpleasant side effects.




<--See what I mean about texture? This is the cranberry orange.


I kept them refrigerated, and I have to be honest I wasn't crazy about the first one I tried. The texture did throw me off.

Still, I stuck them in my lunch and ate one at work when I got the pangs of hunger one afternoon. Wouldn't you know that it kept me over until dinner time? How many cookies do you know of that can do that?

In more detail, the cranberry orange one has larger pieces of cranberry in it, which I love just because I love cranberry. I didn't taste much orange right up front, but the entire melding of flavors was quite good. They are not extremely sweet. Even though I have a sweet tooth the size of Alaska, I thought the taste was great the way it was. If they were sweeter it would take away from the whole effect of the cookie.


^cranberry orange


The vanilla chocolate chip, I expected to be just like a chocolate chip cookie, with a fancier name. Nope, these are vanilla chocolate chip, just like it says. You can really taste that it's a vanilla cookie with small pieces of chocolate in it. The chocolate pieces are satisfying when you're chewing. They add a little texture of their own to the already... textur-y cookie. I agree with the GF Food Reviews that these are a little sweeter. This one tastes more like a treat while the other one gave me more of a "snack" vibe.




<-- vanilla chocolate chip







So, there you have it.

No comments: