Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cheese Ravioli



I had the day off work because of a "hurricane," which I think is ridiculous how everybody overreacts to what normally turns out to be a simple rain storm. But there are some good things about that:

1. my car gets clean.
2. it's about 15 degrees cooler!
3. my rainy day off = cooking!

I usually don't crave something until my family cooks it or I see it in the store. This time it was ravioli. I used to LOVE cheese ravioli and haven't eaten it since way before the diagnosis. This was not as labor-intensive as I expected it to be, probably since I finally bought a rolling pin. Although they are not exactly like normal ravioli, I ate them right up.

Pasta:

1/4 c. tapioca starch
1/3 c. corn starch
2 T. potato starch
3 T. brown rice flour
1/2 t. salt
1 T. xanthan gum
2 eggs
1 T. oil

Put a pot of water on to boil. Add salt and a few drops of olive oil.

Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet. Add the wet to the dry and mix into a dough. Roll it out (flouring all surfaces with rice flour) and cut it into equal-sized squares.

For the Filling:

Mix 1 c. ricotta cheese, 1 egg, a handful of shredded cheese (I used a pre-made italian mix of parmesan, romano, mozarella, etc), a few shakes of italian spices, a small dash of garlic powder, and some salt & pepper. [Note: this made way more than was needed for the recipe. Either double the pasta recipe or halve it using an egg substitute. I plan to use the leftovers with some penne and bake it into a mac & cheese type of thing]

Anyway, next plop a bit of filling onto a square. Wet the edges and layer another square on top. Pinch the pillow closed with your fingers, then press the edges with a fork to make it look pretty and further seal the pasta.

Boil the pasta for 5-7 minutes, depending on how big you make the ravioli. Drain and top with a red pasta sauce (my favorite, but it's really whatever) and gobble them down.

No comments: