Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Alfredo Sauce


A couple of weeks ago Dayna mentioned she'd like to know how to make alfredo sauce. Well, I learned! I was intimidated because I've heard cheese sauces are tricky but it's super easy.

There are 2 versions I've tried: a regular one and a lower-fat one that was less rich but still tasty.

For the regular one, use:

1/4 c. butter
1 c. heavy cream
1 clove of minced garlic or a shake of garlic powder
1 c. parmesan cheese
1/2 c. mozarella cheese

I heated the butter, garlic and cream on med-low heat until the butter melted, then stirred in the cheese until it melted. Threw in a bunch of cracked pepper, a few shakes of salt, and a splash of the wine I was drinking. I let it heat for a minute, while stirring, and served it over penne rice pasta, since those are the only noodles I had. I sprinkled some parsley over it one time, and some italian seasonings another time. Both tasted good.

For the lower fat one, I used:

3 T. butter
2 T. GF flour
1 c. milk
same amounts of garlic & cheeses

I melted the butter, then stirred in the flour until it formed a paste. I slowly stirred in the milk and heated that up for a minute. I threw in the cheese and other ingredients the same way as before. If you are drinking wine (as I do when I cook), splash a bit of that in too. The wine will help to keep the mixture smooth. Since it's a white sauce I would use a white wine. Put it over pasta and enjoy!

P.S. A small hunk of cream cheese will help make the second version thicker as well

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you. are. the BEST!

i have canned alfredo for this week, but will try that next time. YAY!!!
-dayna

Anonymous said...

so i finally made the alfredo and... omg YUM! better than any jarred alfredo i've ever had
-dayna

Anonymous said...

I just made this for about the third time, and I wanted to let you know how much we love it in our family. So simple and rich. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight. Poured it over some GF corn pasta and some bacon. Delicious. Thank you.

Jen said...

What's the "flour mix" you use to make the roux for the lower-fat version? I have some quinoa flour, brown rice flour, and coconut flour at home. Would any of those (or a combination of those) work? I'm new to the gluten-free world, and am weary about which flours will work in certain recipes!

Emily Tapio said...

I'm 12 and GF and it was my turn to make dinner so i found this recipe made it added chicken breasts and noodles OMG that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good my whole family asked for the recipe.

melbo said...

mine's on it's way - i'll letcha know how things go! :D

melbo said...

IT IS AMAZING! Also added some caribbean spices and a lot more garlic. It is to DIE for :D

Anonymous said...

oh,my.God! like this was the best thing i've had in a long time. freakin delish! i made it exactly as you did w/the wine and pepper and salt over gluten free fetticine noodles with garlic/salt/pepper in butter browned chicken bites and broccoli! ugh. i cannot ever make this again though, so freakin fattening-ONLY for special occasions. will try the low fat version next time. it rules!

June said...

I just tried your recipe it was the bomb. I added chicken breast , broccoli and red bell peppers. I used Kraft Philladelpia cooking creme creamy pesto instead of the regular cooking creme it was awesome. Your recipe is great. Thanks June.

Anonymous said...

Tried the low fat version.....did not have mozarella so I used cheddar instead. ......and it still turned out delicious.
I will make this again.