Thursday, January 24, 2008

gluten free strawberry muffins




I modified a basic rice muffin recipe found in The Best-Ever Wheat and Gluten Free Baking Book by Wenniger. These things are pretty tasty! I freeze them until I'm ready to stick one in my bag on my way out the door to school.

Ingredients:
2 T. butter or oil
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. rice flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cream of tartar
handful of frozen strawberry pieces (or whatever fruit you like)
some nuts to sprinkle on top if you feel like it

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tin or add those liner thingies. Cream sugar and butter, beat in eggs. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar in a bowl. Add to the egg mixture alternatively with milk. Don't mix too much. Stir in the strawberries and vanilla. Bake for 20 minutes or so.

Mine look extra festive because all I had were Christmas liners, and of course I drizzled some glaze because I think everything's better with icing. [some powdered sugar with a dash of vanilla, thinned with water]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look really tasty.

K Allrich said...

Strawberry muffins sound like a perfect antidote to February blahs.

And yeah, The Dude abides. ;)