Monday, January 21, 2008

"Cold Weather" Chili, gluten free

This is a good recipe, really easy to make. Just dump everything in a pot and let it simmer for a while. Gotta give props: I found it in a cookbook by Carol Fenster: Gluten-Free Quick and Easy. This book has been very helpful for a lot of things, btw.

This recipe makes a lot for one person so there were plenty of leftovers to freeze. I even stuck some in my boyfriend's freezer, so I can have an hot gluten-free meal when he decides to order pizza. It's cold and rainy here, so I reheated some that I had frozen and it was delicious. I usually eat it plain but when I was a kid my mom used to put it over elbow noodles and my friend Dayna said that she puts it over rice.

Southwestern Chili

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground round
1 c. chopped onion
2 cans (15 oz) pinto or kidney beans
2 cans (15 oz) canned, peeled whole tomatoes
2 cans (4 oz) mild diced green chiles

2 T. chili powder
1 1/2 t. dried oregano
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground coriander
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. sugar
2 c. water

Brown the onion and meat in a big pot over medium heat. Add everything else, cover and let simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours.

No comments: