Tuesday, January 8, 2008

awesome gluten free chocolate cake

I think for my first entry I'm going to post the recipe for the divine chocolate cake that rivals this. I actually haven't tried substituting a gluten free flour mix in that recipe, but this one is delicious enough. It was one of the first recipes I tried because of its lack of unfamiliar ingredients and it turned out WAY better than I expected. I made it for my birthday and everyone loved it. I froze some to defrost and eat later, but it becomes slightly grainy when I reheat it. Here's the recipe:

CAKE:

Boil:
1/2 c. butter
1 c. water
1/3 c. cocoa
1/2 c. oil

Sift and pour over mix: (I just mixed in a bowl with a whisk instead of "sifting")
2 c. cornstarch
2 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda

Add: 1/2 c. buttermilk and 2 eggs

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes in a 9x13 pan.

ICING:

Boil:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. cocoa

Add: (I used a hand mixer)
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
3-4 c. powdered sugar

I couldn't wait for it to cool to try it because it smelled so wonderful, so I iced it hot and it made the cake extra moist.

No comments: