Tuesday, September 3, 2019

hotel room chicken and veggies

I'm back on the road again.

I try to book a hotel room with a full kitchen, and Homewood Suites is my top choice. There was a Hampton Inn 2 miles from where I was working today, but I'll drive 20 minutes to a full kitchen. Absolutely worth it.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way to the hotel, and picked up:

For breakfast:
-eggs
-plums
-blackberries
-a cucumber
-carrots
-prunes (regularity is key, man. these help.)

For snacks:
-almonds
-pecan nut thins and sunbutter- I brought some with me
-fruit/veggies leftover from breakfast

For dinner:
-boneless skinless chicken thighs
-frozen broccoli
-Green Giant riced veggies that I happened to see in the frozen veggie section.
[Contains mostly riced cauliflower, a few green peas, yellow onions, a tiny bit of carrots, and green onions]
-an $8 pinot noir

Anyway. Dinner.

I got "home," traded pants for shorts, and took off my bra so fast you didn't even see it.

I always wash the hotel dishes before using them; you never know what kind of gluten was there before you and how well things were cleaned.

I poured myself a juice glass full of wine, pushed play on my Spotify playlist, and fired up the electric stovetop. Armed with my handy travel kit, I tossed into a hot pan two chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Danced around a bit to some happy reggae music.
Stretched a bit on my travel yoga mat while I talked to my cute man on the phone.

When the chicken was done, I shredded it with two forks.


(The pan was warped and wasn't heating evenly, so I adapted and transferred the half-cooked chicken to the pot that was in the kitchen... Guess I'll be having a poached egg tomorrow morning, yay!)

Add in the veggies, and cook until they're warmed.


The riced veggies were really great. I usually try to bring a little garlic in my travel kit but I forgot, and the onions in this mix really gave this dish some great flavor. There is also a little ziplock seal which was great because I only used half of the bag. I will definitely consider this again for future travel meals.


Since the pot was more crowded than the pan would have been, I kinda mixed everything up into a casserole of sorts.



Dinner was so tasty, and so SAFE. Not a single gluten worry here.
Plus I had leftovers so lunch will also be tasty and safe. Woo!

*makes a note to ask the front desk about a new pan

No comments: