Tuesday, April 10, 2018

gluten free musings

It's always been hard to safely eat at restaurants. But lately, I think it's gotten harder.

I think it's due to the whole "gluten free" movement and many restaurants now offer "gluten-friendly" dishes with a big fat disclaimer about how you should only eat them if you're gluten intolerant and they're not meant for those with Celiac disease.

Gee, thanks.

Eating gluten free has become a fad. In the past, you'd utter the word gluten and no one knew what you were talking about. Now, everyone knows that word, but few fully understand what it means.

Many restaurants now offer a gluten free menu but take zero precautions to avoid cross contamination in the kitchen.

I can't tell you how many times I've been excited to see "gluten free" on a menu and gotten sick because of that.

As a result, I'm skeptical of all gluten free claims. Yes, gluten free is everywhere but it's frequently not safe for celiacs.

For now, I'm avoiding all restaurants unless it's a 100% gluten free kitchen, because I'm tired of getting sick after ordering off of the "gluten free" menu.

Even if they say they take measures to prevent contamination, you never really know what goes on in the kitchen. All it takes is one tiny mistake to contaminate something.

It's not worth it.

Just another wave in Celiac adventures!

No comments: