Friday, November 25, 2016

Sauteed asian salad

Oh, God. I need vegetables. I need a deep cleanse. I need to walk 5,000 miles.

This year a very indulgent trip to Texas wine country (to celebrate my sister's quarter quell birthday) took the off-ramp smoothly right into Thanksgiving, and I embraced every fat second of it.

After steadily guzzling great wine and grazing on rich foods for a few days, I feel like I'm on the verge of gout or heart disease. A bit of an exaggeration, but the truth is I feel fat and bloated and not great.

So today my body is begging for vegetables, fish oil capsules, and lots of water. I haven't exactly been to the grocery store lately, so after a bit of black Friday shopping (purely to get steps), I stuck my head in the fridge. I shifted aside the gravy-laden leftovers and searched for the vegetables that languished in the crisper while I noshed on cakes and buttery mashed potatoes and honey glazed ham. (Mmm, ham.)

I give you this big ass bowl of vegetable love. It's beautiful.

sauteed cabbage asian salad gluten free

I highly encourage a loose interpretation of this recipe. Use up your sad veggies! Everything gets new life after a deep sautee with garlic. Even limp celery.

Sauteed Asian Salad

Olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 T. water chestnuts, chopped (from a can)
1/8 wedge of red cabbage, chopped
a sprinkle of sesame seeds
1/8 wedge of iceberg lettuce, chopped

Sautee everything but the lettuce in olive oil.

sauteed cabbage asian salad gluten free

Put the sauteed veggies on top of the lettuce. Top with a bit of sriracha sauce, a sprinkle of GF soy sauce, and a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Start to feel like a human being again. Let go of the Jabba mentality. Do your best to maintain until the next wave of holiday gluttony hits.

[Namaste, bitch.]

No comments: