Monday, August 24, 2015

Chicken stuffed chiles

Dude, I made a really tasty dinner tonight.

Originally inspired by (I hate to admit) Rachael Ray's Cheesy Chicken and Corn Stuffed Chiles recipe. Somehow I ended up subscribed to her magazine. Still can barely tolerate her, but there's usually a couple of neat recipes. I switched up a few things and converted this meal halfway* to crock pot heaven.

Hatch chiles are a big thing in grocery stores right now. Seriously, every store flyer for the past couple of weeks has had some kind of hatch chile theme. There was a giant bin right when I walked in the store, so obviously I used those.

The best news is, the crock pot recipe made WAY more chicken filling than needed, so I can easily use the rest in enchiladas, soup, tacos, etc. I will probably end up freezing some as well.

gluten free crock pot chicken stuffed chiles

Crock Pot Chicken Stuffed Chiles

Place in the crock pot:
3 chicken breasts, sprinkled with paprika, cumin, and pepper
1 c. salsa
1/2 block cream cheese

Cook until the chicken starts to fall apart, or until you come home from work. If necessary, shred the chicken and place back in the crock pot. Stir in 1 c. frozen corn.

Cut chiles in half and remove seeds. Fill with cheesy chicken mixture and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes, just until everything is heated through and the cheese on top has started to bubble.

Serve with rice.

gluten free crock pot chicken stuffed chiles

*Full crock-pot version:
Chop the chiles and put everything in the crock pot at once. Serve over rice. I think the flavors would have a chance to mingle and this method would actually improve the recipe.

Ideas for leftover chicken:
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Spaghetti

No comments: