Friday, July 3, 2009

When the moon hits your eye...


My sister took my camera to Warped Tour today and is still holding it hostage. The camera on my phone doesn't do this pizza justice. It was freaking delicious.

I don't know if my taste buds are becoming acclimated to gluten free foods, but this crust had an awesome texture and a great flavor. The sauce was so badass. It came from a container in my freezer labeled "pizza," and it had tons of flavor as well. I wish I could tell you what was in it but I have no idea.

I can, however, tell you what was in the crust. I think it's modified from a recipe I found in some cookbook, but it's gotten to the point where it's scrawled on a piece of paper. It makes a small pizza- just enough for little ole me, with lunch leftovers that are yummy reheated with the broiler.

Pizza Crust

1/4 c. (heaping) brown rice flour
1/4 c. millet flour
1/4 c. potato starch
3/4 t. baking powder
3/4 t. xanthan gum
1/4 t. salt
1 t. italian seasonings

1/2 t. sugar
scant 1/2 c. warm water
1/2 T. yeast

2 T. egg beaters, room temp
1/2 T. olive oil

Proof the yeast in the sugar and water while you mix up the dry ingredients in a bowl. Dump the wet stuff in all at once and stir it into a wet dough. Plop the dough on a greased pan and spread it out with a spoon to form a crust with raised edges. Let it rise for a few minutes- it won't take long.

Spread on your pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, green bell peppers, pepperoni (Hormel is GF), or whatever you want onto the pie.

Bake it at 425 for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and the crust is lightly browned. Let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting and chowing down.

No comments: