Sunday, May 2, 2010

Crockpot Baked Beans


I love beans. I could happily eat them every day. As a child, one of our favorite videos (on VHS!) to watch was Mickey and the Beanstalk.

In the story Mickey, Donald and Goofy have been living off of beans for a long time, and finally they run out and Mickey goes into town to sell their cow and get some food. When Mickey brings home the magic beans (At 8:45 into the clip linked above), Goofy exclaims, "BEANS?!" "What do you mean, BEANS?!" and Donald freaks out true Donald-style.

And I think of it every time I make beans.

I don't even need BBQ as an excuse to make baked beans. I can make a meal out of beans and cornbread. ... Or really, just beans.

I used this recipe, tweaked a bit.

Baked Beans

2 cups dried navy beans
1/2 pound bacon (omitted because I forgot to buy it, oops!)
1 onion, finely diced (used much less)
3 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Soak the beans overnight in water. If you have a removable crockpot um, pot, then soak the beans right in the pot. Drain the water into a bowl and keep it.

Add the other ingredients, stir well, and add enough of the water to cover the beans. Cover the crockpot, set it on high, and cook for 8-10 hours, until the beans are tender. If desired, cook for an hour with the lid off to thicken it up a bit.

Makes 6 servings, or a whole lot of beans for one person, even if that person happens to love beans. I wonder if they freeze well?

No comments: