Friday, September 25, 2009

Study Break Tapioca Pudding

gluten free tapioca pudding
I haven't been posting much lately. To quote my friend and classmate, the CLS program is "mental boot camp." I've been getting used to a new schedule, and I've been studying constantly. It's utterly exhausting, but I'm loving it. It seems like a lot of the regular blogs I read have been posting less often, too. I guess it's a busy time!

I have been feeding myself, but it's been super-quick standbys and I haven't created anything new.

Tonight, I don't really have a breather, but I decided to make one. With that, came tapioca pudding. This is the recipe on the box, but modified a bit. I like that you don't have to temper the egg, and it gives me a reason to stand still without doing anything. Did I pull up a stool to the stove and zone out for a few minutes while stirring? Yes. :o) Then I enjoyed some pudding.

Tapioca Pudding

3 1/2 T. Minute Tapioca (I used Kraft)
1/4 c. sugar (The recipe called for 1/3, but I'm slowly trying to cut sugar and get used to eating less-sweet treats.)
dash of salt
2 1/2 c. milk (I used regular milk, because I'm out of dairy-free stuff. If you try it dairy free, let me know how it works out.)
1 egg, beaten well.
1 t. vanilla

Combine the milk, tapioca, sugar, salt, and egg in a pan. Let it sit for 5 minutes on low heat. Then, heat it up on medium heat, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, until it boils steadily. Take it off of the heat, stir in the vanilla, and let it cool. Stir in a dash of cinnamon. It will thicken as it cools, and you can eat it warm or cold.

Back to the books. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I've yet to make my own tapioca pudding, but I love it =D. Thanks for the recipe, and good luck with your studying (I should probably be doing the same...)

cinnamonquill said...

This is a great reminder that I've been eager to try tapioca pudding with coconut milk. Have you tried chocolate tapioca pudding? I can't decide if that sounds good...Or not? Hm.

Jennifer said...

You know, there were instructions for chocolate tapioca pudding on the box.
I considered it, but it just didn't sound very good. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned tapioca pudding purist. :P

I Am Gluten Free said...

Yummmmm....homemade Tapioca Pudding...pure comfort food. And so easily made gluten free!