Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hot Cocoa Mix


This mix blows all of the store-bought mixes out of the water. I've never liked the packets of hot cocoa mix because they don't have that rich, chocolatey flavor.

I've also never liked milk in my hot cocoa. I have always abhorred the taste of milk, and never EVER drink it straight, or even as chocolate milk. My mom used to make hot cocoa using milk and ovaltine when we were kids and I could never drink it because I could taste the milk. I use milk to make this hot cocoa, and I can't taste it at all.

It's just a delicious, creamy, flavorful hot cocoa to drink when it's cold.

To make the mix:

1/2 c. cocoa
1 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. corn starch

Place that all in an airtight container and shake it up to evenly distribute the ingredients. The corn starch really does help to make it creamy and thick, and not so watery like store-bought brands.

To make a cup of cocoa:
Mix 3 T. of the mix with 2 T. hot water. Then add ~1 c. milk and heat it up.

Of course, it's not hot cocoa without a dollup of whipped cream, marshmallows, or a candy cane.

No comments: