Monday, January 15, 2018

Spaghetti squash, roasted vs steamed

I came across a different way to prepare spaghetti squash recently.

I've only made spaghetti squash a few times, but I've always taken the "steam with water in microwave" approach because it's quicker.

However I had a bit of time to meal prep today, so I roasted it in the oven.

Here's how you do it:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the guts. (Save the guts)*


One major difference with this approach was that it was harder to cut because it hadn't been softened in the microwave. So I scored the flesh where I wanted to cut and it made it a little easier.



Onto a baking sheet they went, with a little olive oil sprayed on top.


After an hour in the oven (I flipped them halfway), they were done.


A quick summary of the differences:

-Strand length: Definitely longer when cut into rings.
-Texture: About the same using either method, but the squash is "wetter" when steamed.
-Flavor: Steaming makes blander strands, while roasting creates a caramelized, almost sweet flavor.

What method will I use in the future? The differences are subtle so it will depend on how much time I have, and what I'm making.

*I save the guts so I can roast the seeds. To make separating the seeds easier, I loosen them from the guts and put it all in a bowl of water. The seeds float so they're easier to separate. Just skim them off the top of the water.

I roasted these for 20 minutes in the oven on the bottom rack, while the squash roasted on the top rack.


No comments: