Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pork!

This is first time I've EVER cooked pork. I know, such a milestone.



Six of these "boneless wafer thin center loin chops" were on sale for less than 2 bucks, so I grabbed them. Then I coated them in a tangy marinade/sauce. Good call. It's tangy with a hint of fruity, balanced with a little bit of sweetness.

Then I made a rice pilaf to go with them. Actually, I just throw sliced almonds into some rice and some other stuff and call it a pilaf. It works for me.

Anyway. Recipe.

Preheat a heavy skillet on medium/high heat. It's ready when water droplets dance around for a second before evaporating.

Marinade:

1/3 c. yellow mustard
2 T. balsamic vinegar (Used this fabulous pomegranate balsamic vinegar that I got at the farmer's market)
1 T. brown sugar
pepper

*I didn't have time to actually marinade them, and they still turned out tasty. Next time I'll try leaving them in there for a few hours.

Coat the meat in the sauce/marinade, and throw it in your pan. Cook it literally about a minute on each side, because they're so thin. After they're all done, splash a small amount of chicken broth (2 thawed cubes) into the pan and make a sauce with the stuff that carmelized in the pan. Serve with rice pilaf.

Rice pilaf-ish:

1 c. brown rice cooked in 2 cups beef broth
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1 handful of finely chopped spinach
2 T. toasted coconut
sprinkle of paprika

Mix it all up. Done.

No comments: