Sunday, May 29, 2011

Waffles


chocolate chip waffles

Today was a waffle-making kind of morning.

Before Chris left to do Marine-type-stuff, we'd have a late, leisurely breakfast on most Saturday mornings. Eggs, pancakes, waffles, bacon, hashbrowns, whatever. Wake up late, put on a pot of coffee, and slowly get around to cooking breakfast. He got me a waffle maker, and then started requesting these waffles a lot. They were good, but there were points where I had to veto waffles because I was getting tired of eating them!

They're easy peasy to make, and come out soft with just the right amount of toasted crunch. They freeze really well, too.

I actually haven't made them in over a year, but I felt like it this morning. I made a large batch to freeze and pull out for mid-morning "second breakfast" at work.

Basic recipe:

2 c. GF Flour
1/4 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
2 T. oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 c. milk

Mix your dry ingredients with a whisk. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and stir the dry ingredients into the wet. It should be pourable, but not too runny or thick.

Pour ~1/2 c. of batter into a preheated waffle iron and cook for a few minutes- I check to see if they're done when the steaming has calmed down.

I've made them several ways, using the basic recipe and adding:

-chocolate chips, fruit, or peanut butter
-1 t. vanilla and 1/2 t. cinnamon
-1/2 c. shredded cheese and bacon. <-- Freaking YUM.

Makes 6 waffles.

2 comments:

Gina said...

These look really good! I haven't tried brown sugar in waffles yet - but I think I might have to now!

Anonymous said...

We recently put my husband on a gluten free diet(and he's doing SO much better health wise and mentally too!) and the hard part was going to be finding him waffles that didn't break the bank- he has been eating frozen waffles for breakfast every day for years! Breakfast is hard for him because he can't have eggs (only baked into things), and he's allergic to most fruits too, so it doesn't leave much. Well, we bought a waffle iron and tried your recipe and we love them! Even our 18 month old mooches bites from daddy! Thank you SO much for making it easy to replace a food he loves! I will be trying many other recipes from your blog!