Saturday, April 3, 2010

French Toast

gluten free french toast
Hey guess what? THIS bread makes really great french toast. Like really good. Like the french toast that you remember.

I've tried french toast on many loaves of bread. I thought by making french toast I could salvage dry, crumbly loaves of bread. I was wrong. I just ended up with dry, crumbly french toast or a sandy mouth feel surrounded by great french toast taste. I've finally found the texture that I've been missing.

French Toast

1 egg, beaten
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. milk

4-5 slices of gluten free bread (like I said, I've had success with this bread)

Preaheat a pan or griddle to medium heat.

Mix the ingredients with a whisk.
If the bread is a little stale it will soak up more of the egg mixture, but if it's fresh just toast it.
I also like to cut it up into strips before I start, but whatever tickles your fancy is fine.

Soak the bread in the egg mixture on both sides, then place it in the greased pan. Let it cook until the egg is set and lightly golden, and flip it and repeat on the other side.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup, fruit, whatever.

This recipe also freezes well. Just thaw, then pop in the toaster to warm them up. (I'm not sure what the texture's like if they are reheated in the microwave.)

2 comments:

SincerelyMe said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the plate! What a fabulous plate! Makes your delicious food look even better! ^_~

PS - the word verification is "bosturt" which I tried to pronounce, sounds like bastard.

Twila said...

yummy!!

Twila
blog.twilasvintageclothing.com
twilasvintageclothing.com