Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pumpkin Pie

gluten free pumpkin pie
This was my first time making a pumpkin pie, and it was suprisingly simple. The recipe is from the back of the can and it comes out perfect. I had it for a midnight snack last night, and breakfast this morning. It's just soooo good.

As far as pies go, it's one of the better ones for you. Pumpkin by itself is low in calories, high in fiber, and high in Vitamin A. I used evaporated filled milk, which adds a little extra vitamins. If you used a sugar substitute, it would make it even better for you. Oh, the possibilities.

If it would only stay cold here, I would be totally into the fall experience. Seriously, it needs to get cold.

I used Libby's canned pumpkin, and like I said the pie recipe is from the can.

Preheat your oven to 425.

The crust:
1/2 c. brown rice flour
1/2 c. sorghum flour
1/4 c. tapioca starch
1/8 t. xanthan gum
1/4 c. dark brown sugar
1/8 t. salt
1/4 c. melted butter (I used smart balance)

Mix everything up and press it into a 9-inch pie pan. I don't have one so I used an 8-inch round cake pan with great results. Stick it in the preheating oven while you mix up the filling; about 5 minutes.

The filling:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves (I used 1/8)
2 eggs
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed!)

Beat the eggs. Stir in the sugars, spices, and the pumpkin. Gradually stir in the evaporated milk.

Pour the filling into the prepared crust, and bake it at 425 for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 and bake it for 40-50 minutes or until a kife inserted near center is clean. Cool to room temperature and then stick it in the fridge.

Waiting for this to cool down was torture, but I did it. When I served a bite to The Man, he said, "Oh, you're taking this to Thanksgiving." Was I beaming? You bet I was. So anyway, here's a classic pumpkin pie recipe, made gluten free and good enough to serve to gluten-eating guests.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

This looks fabulous!! I'm so glad it was a hit =D.

Castal said...

I have tried lots of different pumpkin pie recipes, but I always keep coming back to the one on the can! Last year I ran out of flours for crust so I made a pumpkin custard (read: I put the whole mess in the pie pan and then into a water bath and cook it)

I have heard that you can even make a crustless pie that makes its own crust when you bake it, but I have not tried it yet.


Glad that everything came out well!
(oh, and sometimes basic grocery stores sell pyrex pie pans for ultra cheap around thanksgiving if you are interested)

Sarah Schatz - menus for limited diets said...

I really like the drawing of the evil wheat plant. Very funny and a great reminder of how many other grains and alternative flours there are to wheat!

I'm glad your gluten free pumpkin pie turned out so great!
Sarah

Unknown said...

I make that pumpkin pie as well, and may I suggest the sweetened condensed milk in place of the evaporated AND the sugar? It really comes out awesome with it, though I have no idea why. Can't wait to try out this crust recipe! I had to make mine this year and watch while everyone else ate it. =(

Tina` said...

I just found your blog and am excited to try out a few of your shared recipes.
I am not allergic to gluten, but have I've been thinking of getting away from gluten as I hear it is healthier....plus, I have a couple friends who suffer from celiac.

Anyway, these recipes are not as intimidating as I anticipated. Thanks again for sharing your recipes!