Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cozy Potato Soup

gluten free potato soupWe have had some beautiful weather here lately. I'm digging the hoodie weather in the morning, and the AC in my car hasn't been run in a while. Windows down, baby. This week schoolwork is not piled up, so I get to cook and eat real food!

In anticipation of the cool air coming tonight, I decided to make something cozy. A quick trip to the pantry revealed some garlic cloves and a lonely potato. 30 minutes later, potato soup was simmering on the stove and smelling very, very good. And cozy.

It's quick, cheap, and it's a one-pot meal so that means less dishes for me. Yay!

Potato Soup

1 potato, cut into cubes. Peeled or not is your choice. I go 50/50.

1 T. butter
1 c. milk (cream works too if you like it extra rich)
1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 t. ground pepper
1/4 t. salt
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 t. chicken bouillon (gluten free)
1 T. parsley
1/2 T. potato flour (not starch)

Boil the potato pieces in water until they're soft but not quite falling apart. Pour as much water off as you can. Place the pot back on the burner to boil the rest of the water off.

Turn the heat to low-med. Stir in the butter until it's melted, mashing the potatoes a little bit. Leave them as chunky as you like.

Stir in the milk, cheese, pepper, garlic, bouillon, and parsley. Once it's heated, stir in the potato flour bit-by-bit to thicken it up. Don't stir it in too fast or it will clump. Just sprinkle the top, stir it in, and repeat.

Serve it with cheese, parsley, chives, and sour cream.

Serves 2.

4 comments:

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

Love that you added potato flour! I have to try that next time.

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free said...

This really looks so good...and your picture is beautiful! I think 'cozy' is a perfect word for potato soup - I agree with Jenn - love that you added the potato flour.

It's also chunky, which is great. I love a good, creamy soup with chunks.

Castal said...

Don't you love the comfort food? I just made a big batch of chicken soup and it kept me going over lots of coursework.

I understand what it is like finding out that gluten is the enemy while at school. I was living with friends by the time I got the notice, so I had cooking skills when I started. That actually was a problem for me since I had been cooking (and eating) homemade bread, pizza, noodles, you name it. Now, almost two years after finding out that I can't eat gluten, I have gotten back to cooking and baking... with some failures, but most of them edible!


In short... well... thanks for blogging and keep up the good work! Keep experimenting and posting those recipes as well.

Meesha said...

I work for someone who needs a glen free diet but has a hard time eating soups so I used dried gf mashed potatoe mix to make it less runny.