Saturday, February 23, 2008

gluten free "granola" bars and graham crackers

Today was a "snack" recipe trying day. I'm still looking for portable snacks to take to class.
I kind of made up the recipe for the bars from looking at a variety of other recipes. It's sweet rather than wholesome, and is actually more like a dessert bar. I'm going to keep looking for one that's less sweet and more like a granola bar. The graham cracker recipe was found in a forum after googling it.

Snack Bars:











2 c. cereal (puffed rice, or I used Perky O's)
2 c. oats (didn't have any so I used puffed corn cereal)
1/4 c. almonds (I used walnuts too)
1/4 c. sunflower seeds (salted are ok since this is so sweet)
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. dried fruit
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. honey
1 t. vanilla

Combine dry stuff in a bowl. Heat up peanut butter, honey and vanilla (don't boil). Pour over cereal, coat and press into a 9x13 pan. Let cool.

Graham Crackers:

2 3/4 cup flour mix
1/4 c. dark brown sugar
3/4 t. xanthan gum or 1 t. guar gum
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
3/4 c. butter
1/4 c. honey
1/3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 350. Mix dry stuff, then cut in butter. Add honey & milk. Mix into a dough. Roll into small balls and flatten to 1/8" thick on an ungreased cookie sheet. (I used parchment paper). Prick them with a fork, bake for 12-15 minutes. I sprinkled half with cinnamon and sugar. Makes a pretty big batch.
Happy Snacking! I'm totally making s'mores tonight.

1 comment:

kcereghino said...

mmmm... its been so long since i could have s'mores. I go camping all the time with my family and am totally making these to bring along for the next time.