Sunday, October 22, 2017

Carrot bread cake ish

Hey, I made something and didn't put pumpkin in it!


Dorie Greenspan's carrot cake recipe in the October issue of Better Homes and Gardens caught my eye, so I bookmarked the page and shredded some carrots and then life got in the way. Then I won an adorable new loaf pan at bingo and suddenly I had to make carrot cake. But I made it in a loaf pan so it has to be called carrot bread?

Either way, the house smells fantastic and I have a treat to enjoy this rainy Sunday.

Obviously I adapted the recipe to be gluten free and I cut back on the sugar. Other than that, I followed it. Which I hardly ever do. So here it is!

Carrot Cake (bread)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix in Bowl #1:
1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. GF flour blend
1 tsp. each: baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix in Bowl #2:
1 1/2 cups grated carrot (the kitchen aid attachment is AWESOME for this)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. craisins, soaked in hot water 5 minutes and drained

Beat in the kitchen aid:
1/2 c. brown sugar, loosely packed
1/2 c. light olive oil

Mix in:
2 eggs

Then mix in the contents of Bowl #1.
Then mix in the contents of Bowl #2.

Grease the loaf pan and pour in the batter. Bake at 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I declined  to add frosting, and it was great. However the first link above had a recipe for cream cheese frosting which I'm sure is divine.

No comments: