Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Olive chicken with Almonds

I didn't plan on posting this recipe, but DAMN it turned out good.

Over the years I've noticed that I dislike following recipes. I DO love taking neat ideas and creating my own thing based on what I've got on hand. It usually turns out great. I credit that to my mother. Thank goodness I've inherited that trait.

This dish was inspired by this recipe from Good Housekeeping. Love that magazine. It involves chicken, olives, and almonds. What a neat combination.

But did I go searching for pitted Castelvetrano olives? Hell, no.
And did I use up a sad zucchini and wrinkly grape tomatoes? You bet I did.
And it was a delicious, tangy dish that totally jived.

gluten free olive chicken

Olive Chicken with Almonds

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Toss into an oven safe dish:

1 clove of chopped garlic
1 stalk of chopped chive
1/4 c. olives (regular old olives with the pimento inside)
1/2 c. slightly smashed almonds

Top with:

2 chicken thighs
1 shredded zucchini (put on top of the chicken to keep it moist)
a drizzle of olive oil
a few halved grape tomatoes
salt and pepper

Bake, covered, for about 30 minutes or until the meat thermometer reads 175. (I love the meat thermometer.)

Serve over GF noodles with green beans.

No comments: